Facebook

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Joy on Sugarloaf - Survivor Ski Episode #1

I have long been requesting a CBS Survivor on snow. Aren't you also tired of the same-old beach scene and Jeff Probst in short sleeves shorts after 25 seasons? Well, now I have my first skiing castaway contestant...Nicholas Joy of Medford Mass who survived 40 hours alone on Sugarloaf Mountain with no supplies, just his ski attire and his wits, which he attributes to watching "survivor type shows" on TV.

Here is my ski blog on Joy's ordeal including skiing out of bounds, without meaning too - which is pretty easy to do on a big mountain like the Loaf. While Joy's trail choice after seperating from his dad was not the best decision ever, going off the vast West Side of Sugarloaf beyond the trails, he then employed a series of good tactical survival skills - he built a snowcave, drank water from a nearby stream and melted snow, and he obviously provided some self sustaining mantra on the cold dark mountainside to keep his spirits and body temperature up.

I can imagine some of the 80+ search and rescue ski patrol, border patrol, Maine Game Wardens and even Navy Seals were becoming more dubious of a positive outcome as the precious clock ticked on into day two of Joy's disappearance. Ironic that a fellow Mass guy (a firefighter from Warwick Mass.) on a snowmobile, but not part of the official search team, found Joy.
Nicholas Joy clearly outwitted, outlasted and outplayed the harsh winter elements! Whether his reference and resource was Man versus Wild or Survivor, I propose he should be one of the first winter castaways in my Survivor Alpine - The Winter Edition. The 17-year-old skier has mad mountain skills, or at least core conviction to stay alive in the cold. So I dust off my TV show propsal to Jeff Probst, and I only have 15 more contestants to clear for this edgy new snow Survivor season. I need skiers and snowboarders- so send me your ski auditions videos!

1 comment:

  1. The Edge of Reason diary movie prop and ski ... In the second movie, based on Helen Fielding's highly popular novel ski props ski and Wake Propellers for sale. Largest inventory of Ski and Wake Props, buy your Ski Propeller online and Save. Order your Wake Prop today.

    ReplyDelete